We respect the privacy of individuals and take protecting personal information seriously. We are bound by New Zealand's Privacy Principles and other obligations set out in New Zealand's Privacy Act 1993 ("Privacy Act").
What is Personal Information?
Personal information means information about an identifiable individual. By way of example, this type of information includes your name, address and contact details.
Information that we Collect and Hold
The types of personal information that we collect and hold about you will depend on your interactions with us. Generally, we will collect and hold your name, contact details and information relating to your dealings with us. But we may also collect additional personal information about you if you:
- Are a customer of Goodyear & Dunlop Tyres or a Goodyear & Dunlop Tyres franchisee;
- Use our website;
- Apply to us to become a franchisee of Goodyear & Dunlop Tyres;
- Apply to Goodyear & Dunlop Tyres for credit (or a company of which you are a director applies for credit, or you propose to guarantee credit applied for by another person); or
- Apply to work with Goodyear & Dunlop Tyres.
How we Collect Personal Information
Goodyear & Dunlop Tyres collects personal information about you in a number of different ways.
Our usual practice is to collect personal information directly from you in the course of our dealings with you, such as when you provide personal information to us, you order our products or services, you use our website or apply for a job with us. If we have extended a credit facility to you, we will also collect information internally about your payment performance.
We may also collect personal information about you from publicly available sources, or in some cases, from authorised third parties including:
- Goodyear & Dunlop Tyres franchisees;
- Credit reporting bodies and businesses that provide information about commercial trading activities and credit worthiness;
- Recruitment agencies and your referee;
- Market research firms;
- Other organisations who have provided commercial credit to you; and
- Any other person or organisation that you ask us to collect your personal information from.
If you choose not to provide personal information, to deal with us anonymously, or the personal information you provide to us is incomplete or inaccurate, we may not be able to provide our services to you effectively.
For instance, if we are not able to collect personal information about you, we may not be able to:
- Provide you with product recall information;
- Provide you with products or services and assistance; or
- Tailor the content of our websites to better meet your requirements,
to the extent that these activities require us to collect, use, store or disclose personal information.
Purpose of Collection
The purposes for which we collect your personal information include, but are not limited to:
- Verifying your identity;
- Contacting you (including via electronic messaging such as SMS and email, by mail, by phone or in any other lawful manner);
- Providing you with our products or services;
- Assessing and processing your credit application or your application to guarantee credit applied for by another person;
- Assessing and progressing (if appropriate) your job application;
- Developing and improving our goods and services and obtaining feedback; and
- For marketing and promotional purposes.
Use of Personal Information
Your personal information will not be sold, traded, rented or otherwise provided to others without your consent.
We may use your personal information for the purposes for which it was collected, and for any reasonably related secondary purpose (or, where the information is sensitive information, any directly related secondary purpose) which is within your reasonable expectations, including, but not limited to:
- Carrying out our business functions and activities, including meeting our legal and regulatory obligations under New Zealand law;
- Responding (including via electronic messaging such as SMS and email, by mail, by phone or in any other lawful manner) to your enquiry, feedback or complaint and providing you with any products and services you may have requested;
- Administering, assessing, processing and reviewing your credit or guarantee application, credit account and credit worthiness;
- Administering, investigating, reporting and resolving any claims, complaints or incidents;
- Assessing and processing your employment application, including conducting reference checks;
- Internal purposes connected with administering your account, such as database management;
- Improving the service we provide and also to let you know about promotions, discounts, upcoming events or products or services that may be of interest to you;
- Preventing fraud; and
- Engaging in debt recovery activities.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We will not otherwise disclose your personal information unless we believe on reasonable grounds that you have provided your authorisation. However, you should be aware that we may be required to disclose your personal information without your consent in order to comply with any court orders, subpoenas or other legal process or investigation including by tax authorities, if such disclosure is required by law. Where possible and appropriate, we will notify you if we are required by law to disclose your personal information.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties, including:
- third party service providers we use in conducting our business (including, collection agents, technology services providers, marketing agencies and market research firms), our advisors, consultants and insurers;
- third parties, including government agencies, where required or allowed by law; and
- any other third party with your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information for a secondary purpose that is related to a purpose for which we collected it, where you would reasonably expect us to disclose your personal information for that secondary purpose.
Direct Marketing or Electronic Communications
We are committed to full compliance with the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007.
By subscribing to emails and/or text communications, or otherwise providing your email address and/or mobile number, you consent to receiving emails and/or texts (as the case may be) which promote and market our products and services, or the products and services of others, from time to time.
If you have provided us with your preferred method of communication we will endeavour to use that method wherever practical to do so. If you wish to cease receiving marketing information from us, you may unsubscribe from our electronic communications or notify us using the contact details provided below.
Once you have unsubscribed from the email or text communications, you will be removed from the corresponding marketing list as soon as is reasonably practicable.
What about links to other websites?
In the course of our ordinary business operations we commonly disclose personal information to entities located outside of New Zealand. These include:
- our related entities located in the United States of America, Australia, China, Singapore, India and the Philippines;
- our data centre operator in Singapore; and
- third party service providers that we use to conduct our business in those locations.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that our related entities and third party service providers located outside of New Zealand handle your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act.
In accordance with the Privacy Act, this policy does not apply to our acts and practices directly related to a current or former employment relationship between us and an employee, and an employee record held by us relating to the employee.
If we transfer employee records offshore for any reason, we will make reasonable endeavours to ensure that your personal information is handled in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Access and Correction Requests
We will take such steps as are reasonable to ensure that the personal information which we collect remains accurate, up to date and complete.
You have a right to request access to or correction of your personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us (see details below). In some cases we may be able to deal with your request over the phone or at a store. We may charge you a small, reasonable, fee to cover our costs when making personal information that we hold available to you, but we’ll always check with you first. No charge will be made for simply making the request and we will not charge you for making a request to update or correct your personal information.
If you consider that the information which we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, we will take reasonable steps, consistent with our obligations under the Privacy Act, to correct that information if you so request.
We will respond to all requests for access and/or correction as soon as reasonably practicable. If we are unable to give you access to the information you have requested, we will give you reasons for this decision when we respond to your request.
When contacting us, please provide as much detail as possible in relation to the query, issue or complaint.
Any complaint will be taken seriously and will be assessed by an appropriate person with the aim of resolving any issue in a timely and efficient manner (our target response is 30 days) and we handle all complaints in a way that is fair and consistent. We request that you cooperate with us during this process and provide us with relevant information we may require.
If you are not satisfied with our response or how we handled your complaint, you may complain to the Privacy Commissioner via its online complaint form (https://www.privacy.org.nz/your-rights/complaint-form/) or in writing at:
PO Box 10094
We store personal information in different ways, including in paper files and in electronic form. The security of your personal information is important to us and we take reasonable steps to protect it from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure. We will destroy or de-identify personal information once we no longer require it for our business purposes.
Some of the ways we secure your personal information are:
- Confidentiality requirements of our employees;
- Document storage security policies;
- Security measures for access to our systems;
- Only giving access to personal information to a person who is authorised to receive that information;
- Control of access to our buildings; and
- Electronic security systems, such as firewalls and data encryption on our websites.
We may store personal information physically or electronically with third party data storage providers. Where we do this, our contractual arrangements with those third parties require those providers to take appropriate measures to protect that personal information.
When using our website you should be aware that no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed as totally secure. Although we strive to protect such information, we do not warrant the security of any information that you transmit to us over the Internet and you do so at your own risk.
A cookie is a small file which is sent to your browser and stored on your computer and helps us understand and track your use of our website and where we can improve your user experience and the information and services we provide to you.
We may work with third parties to research certain usage and activities on our website. No personal information about you is shared except to the extent it is required to be used by a third party or parties for providing such research, and in the course of conducting this research we, and these third parties may place a unique “cookie” on your browser.
Please direct any privacy queries, issues or complaints to the following areas:
Ph: +61 3 8416 7200
Att: Privacy Officer
Goodyear & Dunlop Tyres (NZ)
415 EastTamaki Rd
East Tamaki, Auckland 2013
From time to time, we may change our policy on how we handle personal information or the types of personal information which we hold. Any changes to our policy will be published on our website. You may obtain a copy of our current policy from our website or by contacting us on the details above. It is your responsibility to check the website from time to time in order to determine whether there have been any changes.